Tuesday 21 February 2017

Rupununi hearts' sadness

We sat atop Barra'Wat'Tao
My brother and I -
among the ancient petroglyphs
Savannah stretched before
Mountains rose gently to meet the sky
Winding bends of Savannah creeks -
Their curves hugged by Ite palms

Wind danced across the savannah land
As the setting sun kissed all in its range
Rupununi has colours of earth -
Brown, green, blue, orange - blending slow
A sadness came - he looked at me and asked
"What do you see when you look out there?"

Brother - I see a freedom like no other
I see a cowboy following cattle
Egrets following cowboys
I see a savannah hawk swirling in the wind
Brother - I see a land where I buried my heart

"Do you know what they see?"
Parceled land - packaged and sold
Controlled - Cold
Dug - Forced - Abandoned
Fields of mono crop
Signs of "Private Property and no Trespassing"
A different life -
Not one what we understand

Sun dipped behind Shiriri
I listened to the sounds of early evening
We lucky few -
Love a land with no expectation
We lucky few -
Love a land free of agenda

A sadness creeps, like the Rupununi night
Silence grips my heart -



No comments:

Post a Comment

Ghost