Thursday 16 June 2011

Buck Cherry.

sweet round wild cherries....buck cherries.   Claudius Perry, as a botanist he worked with Smithsonians, he was also a bull rider and a fantastic person.  One of the only men in rupununi that could down a duck and remain cheery and kind and sweet as buck cherry.  A man who i have never throughout my life seen him frown for long.  Like most Rupununians Buck Cherry loved el dorado and he was a cowboy by nature.  Its strange, I stare out into the world and it seems normal.  I think about it some more and its random, unfair.  Claudo was a cowboy, he got bucked off, wiped the dust and shit off his clothes and walked out the corral just to jump on another bucking horse.  And life is like that.  Sometimes you hold on and its ok and sometimes you fall.  And sometimes things take you by surprise. 

I called the station to report the incident for my father to the police yesterday around mid day.

"Let us go home now I say Claudo" his wife Joy Perry would say when they had a bit too much and the dance floor seemed like a good place to sway.  Well Clado has gone home and I hope he gets all the things he deserves.  He leaves behind his wife who is pregnant, and three sons.

I want to dedicate a little piece more of this blog to Terrence and Julie, jason, Philbert and Sumi --those are the ones i know who helped last night.  If there were others--comment with their name.  Me and M came over last night with the bad news and Julie and Terrence immediately made moves to contact backup plane in case the RAM one could not be fixed.  In the thunderstorm, Terrence then went out with the boys, and the boys held a tarp over the plane while Terrence worked on it all night finishing early morning hours, just to take off with no shut eye, fly to dadanawa and take Claudius' injured family to GT.  Rupununi, a place where when shit happens, people don't throw it at the fan.  They shovel it out of the way and deal with it.  So a great thank you to Julie and Terrence.  
RAM, -I have heard that acronym since I was about 5 years old.  Remote Area Medical-its not the organization you know-its the people who make it up.  I want to thank RAM for the years of service to the Rupununi.  And for dedication to getting the plane fixed in the midst of a thunderstorm.

To sum up.  Love to Claudo and big up to RAM and my father who kept calling my phone to get the message through even though I could barely hear him.  What a man.  But maybe that'll be my next blog--a homage to the Rupununi people we respect and love.

Buck Cherry--it wont be the same without you.  

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful kayls! Claudo...you will be missed more than you know. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Ghost