Monday 13 June 2011

Rupununi sky

I floated in the warm creek staring up at the clear sky--hardly any stars out because the moon is so bright.  Hardly any clouds-we're lucky its been raining so hard that the raindrops felt like gravel and the thunder felt like an earthquake when it rumbles across the Rupununi savannahs.  But yes back to floating in the creek, the girls and I just went through a bottle of liquer, some rum (I think about 5 bottles-the boys helped).  Some were topless, some with bra and panties and I kept thinking how lucky we were.  We took turns telling hilarious stories about what happened to us in the rupununi when we were young guns.  I laughed so hard I swear I snorted so much water.

The creek flowed silently as the trees slow danced with the wind to the distant song of night birds.  The loudest creatures there that night were  us - the girls.  I crept in to the warm water and felt the need to pee, I saw my friend coming towards me "I peeing " I warned her.  "Mannnn you so gross, why you had to tell me"
"Im peeing too!!" another friend piped up. " Meee too" another confessed and that began the laughing session which ended up with me snorting water...yup the same pee water, which got my other friends laughing at me.  I must admit I cant remember the exact course of events, the exact jokes shared etc but I do remember a feeling of bliss and calm.

On return to the Ranch house-we met the boys engaged in a game of cards and another group with a game of dominoes.  I looked on for a while until I felt like i was gonna knock out at the table.  So I tied up my hammock, told my love good night and jumped into the hammock.  My hair was wet and the wind picked up its slow dance pace to a more lively dance.  I lay there listening to the sounds of dominoe slamming into the table, friends laughing and arguing about whether a play was legal.  I drifted in and out of sleep listening to the gaff around me. Feeling lucky.  This feeling lasted the entire weekend.  Woke up with pepperpot and fry cow tongue, cream liquer, wine and rum.

With about 4 basins full of clothes me, C, L and M pushed the boat under some trees which shaded a part of the creek, there we washed rinsing in the flowing stream.  We gaffed about almost everything under the sun.  The rest of the crew swam around drinking and then I heard someone read off the wine bottle "WARNING: do not drink while swimming....opppps" and the group started to laugh.  It was as if we were all about 8 yrs old again when we swam, gaffed and laughed with no care in the world.  Anyway they say that the good times in life will remain with you forever--I believe that.  But I think its the feelings that remain with you.  You think of that time and you remember the happiness, the kindness and the love.  The drama and the petty things  slowly drift into oblivion leaving you with the true essence of what Rupununi has to offer: freedom, bliss and a comfort in our own skin that others can't understand because the world they live in demand they look outside rather than inside for happiness.
Nuff love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ghost